Saturday, October 3, 2020

ART SALE BY 100 SPORTS ARTISTS - - UPDATE!




<< UPDATE >>

Creating this painting was a labor of love. 5 years in the thinking and planning and this painting has worked out, I think. There has been some nice feedback on it and a privilege to talk with Josh Gibson's family about it. I approach these kind of projects with care. If someone were to do a depiction of my family, I can promise you that I would care deeply about how we would be treated.


The Gibson family has inspected the piece for accuracy and they gave their approval as is. However, I also knew that all the research I could pull off myself online would not be a complete picture, and the face I chose to render as young Josh was not as close to how he looked in reality at that age. They were quite kind about it, but, after consulting with Sean Gibson, I decided I need to update my painting to better reflect his actual likeness. With their cooperation, I am gathering source material from them right now and plan to make the necessary updates to his likeness soon.


The painting should be available for acquisition during the #NLBMArt initiative time window.
If there is interest in giving bids now, I will accept them. Please realize that my objective is to raise money for the Negro League Baseball Museum with 100% of the selling price to be donated. I will be donating a percentage of that selling price to the Josh Gibson Foundation as well. That amount will be determined soon.


The Josh Gibson family has also offered their approval on the project which is a HUGE step in this process and allows me to offer prints if there is interest.


Please go to NLBMART.COM and buy some of the 100+ artworks being offered in this remarkable initiative. A coalition of sports artists in the USA and other countries are united in this fundraiser which is to support the growth of the NLBM as they tell this most important part of our country's history.


I will post updates via this site and my social accounts as soon as I can about when these works will be available.




https://nlbmart.com/


Thank you for supporting this wonderful effort!


- Stewart Anstead

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(ORIGINAL POST)

100 Artists share their stories through art

We are 98 international artists, makers, and baseball retailers standing together to tip our caps and celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the Negro Leagues. We honor the proud legacy of the Negro Leagues through our craftsmanship, and we invite you help tell the stories of its many heroes by sharing our art.

When you shop with us during the week of October 4th-10th, 2020, you become part of the NLBM’s mission to preserve and celebrate the rich history of African-American baseball and its impact on the social advancement of America. A percentage of every sale will be donated directly to the NLBM. Our art, and their voices, will live on through you.

We see the story of the Negro Leagues as an important reminder of our divided past—and their 100-year anniversary as an opportunity to celebrate and be inspired by what unites us. When it comes to social issues as big as race, we believe we must find common ground from which to start meaningful conversations—with each other and within ourselves. We see our campaign as a bridge to the common grounds of baseball and art.



https://nlbmart.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment