Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Great Visit to the Negro League Baseball Museum - Kansas City

Had an opportunity to visit Kansas City recently. I love that area! It reminds me of Alabama; warm all the time, kudzu vines everywhere, cicadas making their constant buzz. Beautiful country there. First up on my list was a visit to the Negro League Baseball Museum. They have been of particular assistance to me in getting vital information for a painting I am working on. The painting features the NLB greats Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson. My thanks to Dr. Ray Doswell for hosting me and providing great help in this project. The surprising thing is that I had been in contact with both Dr. Doswell and NLBM president Bob Kendrick a month before I decided to go to Kansas City for a visit. 

While I consulted with Dr. Doswell, I also got a tour of the museum. Amazing! There are terrific displays with
original artifacts from the league, including uniforms, equipment, and some dioramas that helped tell the story so effectively. There were paintings by the great Kadir Nelson and other artwork that were worth the effort to go there. PLUS - the museum also houses a separate museum space for jazz music. Kansas City is home to one of the most highly-influential jazz movements in the world. It is also home to some of the world's best barbecue cuisine.
I learned so much from the displays and the storytelling that has given me great insight into the next pieces I plan on of the Negro Leagues. I am a big fan of authentic baseball jerseys and hats. There is something about them that have always been interesting to me. Thank you again to my hosts Dr. Doswell and President Kendrick for a terrific visit. 
If you are in the area, whether going there to see Royals games or otherwise, be sure to get LC's Barbecue and don't miss the Negro League Baseball Museum.


1616 East 18th Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
(816) 221-1920
(888) 221-NLBM
(816) 221-8424 fax









No comments:

Post a Comment